How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Scarborough, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Snozelen Cart: Our Snozelen Cart is a sensory stimulation environment full of lights, smells, tactile surfaces and sounds for residents with dementia. Sights, smells textures and sounds are geared to the resident’s personal history and it is very effective in calming agitated residents and creating positive responses.
- Montessori Program: Our Montessori Program helps residents living with dementia connect with things and activities from their past. The Behavioural Support Team learns as much as they can about the residents past from friends and family and then tailors activities to their past history. It helps them to feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Tamil Community Involvement: One wing in our home is dedicated to serving the needs of our Tamil community. We have programs specifically tailored their culture and language. Spiritual services are held every Tuesday and once a quarter, residents go to the community temple. Mahabharata is celebrated and we have 2 meals every day prepared for residents by our Tamil chef.
- Music Therapy: Our Certified Music Therapist works with small groups using music and song to stimulate reminiscing, conversation and social interaction.
- Art Class: Our Art Teacher meets with residents once a month to work on individual paintings as well as lead group discussions about art.
- Pet Therapy: We have fish tanks on the first floor lobby and second floor east unit.
- Men’s & Women’s Breakfasts: Every other week, the men meet for a “men only” breakfast. On alternate weeks the ladies get together for a “women only” breakfast.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Social Treat Night: We host a once a month alcohol free social treat night where residents get together to socialize and enjoy a non-alcoholic beverage and a treat.
- Intergenerational Program: In our Intergenerational Program, elementary students come to our home to play games, sing songs, read books and more with residents. Even the most reclusive residents enjoy being able to interact with them.
- Yoga Classes: Once a month we hold Laughter Yoga classes and chair Yoga.
- Physiotherapy Exercise Class: We also hold regular physiotherapy exercise classes that focus on balance, strength, and flexibility,
- Drumming Class: Our monthly drumming classes help residents connect and respond to drumming rhythms.
- Brain Training: Once a month trivia night focuses on games that give the brain a workout.
- Themed Parties: Every three months or so, we hold a themed party that focuses on the food, clothing styles and dancing related to the theme.
- Baking & Cooking Club: We have an active Baking and Cooking Club that keeps the activity room kitchen busy and fills the home with wonderful aromas.
- Birthday Bash & Bingo Night: We always have a monthly Birthday Bash and every Wednesday is Bingo Night.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Music Therapist
- Art Teacher